Wednesday, October 6, 2010

How Bazaar!

This weekend was it ... the giant Bazaar, which happens twice a year on base. Even before I arrived, I had been told not to miss the Bazaar, and I'm glad that I put it on my calendar. Vendors from all around townline a five-story parking garage selling artwork, kimonos, Japanese Calligraphy, ceramics, rugs, Japanese dolls, and on and on! Aside from all of that, there were also two giant gymnasiums stuffed full of gorgeous furniture.  It was too much to take in all in one day, so of course I made it a two-day event.

My friend's husband was kind enough to watch Jacob so that us girls could get down to business and shop!  Shop we did!!  My friend bought a gorgeous antique, black standing closet adorned with paintings done by hand all around the perimeter, and gilded with gold.  It was gorgeous. 

There were a lot of those step-type room dividers which tempted me, but I ended up with a shelf for Jacob's room.  The shelves I saw on the first day were all sold by the time I went back to purchase them later that day.  However, when I returned the following day, there was one lonely shelf just waiting for me.  The price was $280 to begin with, but immediately went down to $250 as soon as I took interest in it.  The longer I stood there and looked, the lower the price dropped.  The saleslady said the best she could do was $199.  I knew with only 2 hours left for the Bazaar, I had a lot of leveraging power to get her even lower.  After my offer of $150, we settled on $165.  No wonder shopping is so fun!!  I got the shelves home and up in Jacob's room, and they look great with all his tractors on them.

Thank you all my friends who lived in Japan, for recommending this fun experience to me!

Sayonara for now!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see pictures!!! You're good...I'd have just paid the $280...I hate haggling, but John loves it!! Too bad he doesn't love the shopping one has to do to haggle!

    ReplyDelete