The other day, in the pouring rain, Jacob and I, along with some friends, went into town to open up a bank account, which we have to have for the preschool Jacob will be going to. The people at the bank were so kind, especially considering my limited Japanese skills. Since I had said a total of 4 words in Japanese ("yes," "thank you," "sorry," and "American"), I was especially surprised when the clerk told me my Japanese is very good. She was too nice.
During my time here, I have made some observations. Nothing "good" or "bad," just observations.
First, it seems that there are a lot of rules in Japanese society, and rules are strictly adhered to. For example, my friend needed her parking permit out in town extended one day since the base was closed on Labor Day, and she wouldn't be able to get her base extension until the day after Labor Day. While the clerks were all very nice, they stated the rule to her with no deviations. I have run into similar experiences, where common sense might allow for exceptions. It's interesting to think about this, because it makes me think maybe we as Americans take for granted the fact that while certain rules are set in stone, sometimes the circumstances dictate slight deviations. Then, sometimes I think that the Japanese' strict adherence to rules really makes everything equal for everyone, no matter your circumstances. I'm not sure if my first impression is accurate, and if it is, I'm not sure what my opinion is on the matter quite yet.
The second observation I have made, is that when I am in a store and I accidentally bump into someone, and I apologize, I get nor response from the Japanese person I bumped into. I was taking this very personally, and thinking, "boy, the Japanese people sure are rude...I said "excuse me" in Japanese." Well, foolish me!! Come to find out in my Japanese class, that the Japanese culture is very shy and reserved. I knew the Japanese culture was reserved, but I didn't realize that usually Japanese people will do anything not to make eye-contact with you. What I thought was rudeness, was just a difference in how two cultures view politeness. I've grown up thinking eye-contact and a smile, are what we should do...the Japanese are taught no eye contact and non-confrontation are polite.
My third observation is that the Japanese people, for the most part, go out of their way to be helpful. My friend and I were having trouble finding a shop where we needed to buy a signature stamp for our bank account. I asked a man who was working in a little food stand, if he knew where the store was. He motioned for us to wait, he put up the fish he was cutting, washed his hands, and motioned for us to follow him. He walked us all the way around the block, and took us the entire way to the shop! He left what he was doing, he left his shop unattended, all to help some lost Americans. I am just amazed!!
Sayonara for now!
Yeah...don't see too many people doing that here in America, huh? That was super nice of that guy to show you were to go!!!!
ReplyDelete