Here Goes ....
Well, we've been here for a couple of weeks now, and since arriving we've adjusted gotten into housing on one of the local bases, we've purchased one car (with another one to be purchased tomorrow), we've gotten a few of our belongings delivered, and we've already gotten to sample some wonderful Japanese dishes!
Japan is a lot different than I had pictured. It's very busy and not quite as technology-drive, as what I thought. Most places don't take credit cards, and very few people go walking around talking on their cell phones. There are tons of bicycle riders on the roads (even kids wearing inflatable tubes around their waists, on their way home from the pool).
The area reminds me of a combination of lots of different cultures. All the little pastry shops, fruit shops, fish shops, etc. remind me of Mexico. The narrow winding roads that traverse steep hills remind me of old European cities, and the lush tropical hilltops hidden by misty grey clouds remind me of Hawaii. I don't know what the humidity reminds me of!!
The hardest part about being here, is not driving on the other side of the road, or not being able to speak the language. The hardest part is being away from Tim. He left not even a week ago, but it seems like it's been longer. It's particularly hard on Jacob, which tears at a mother's heart. I love being able to see new things and explore exciting places, but hate only sharing these things with Tim in pictures. I just look forward to when we can all go experience these things together.
Our first big adventure was yesterday - Friendship day on the Yokosuka Base.
This is one day out of the year when the base allows our Japanese friends to come onto the base and experience some of America's finest traditions: car shows, hot-dog eating contests, rock concerts, football, baseball, BBQ's, and a tremendous fireworks show. The Japanese also lined up for (what seemed like) miles to savor the taste of American delicacies, such as nachos, chili-dogs, burgers, pizza, and Cinnabuns. The entrance to the food court (featuring A & W, Long John Silvers, Subway, and Popeye's) was beyond impassable! People were even carrying out boxes of Sabarro pizza, carefully tied with string. It was fun to watch, especially when it came time for the firework show. Apparently, the Japanese really enjoy their fireworks. I know why!! It was, as Jacob whispered, "Amazing!"
Today, we kept it a little more low-key.
We are on the search for a church to call hope while we are out here. We tried a second church today on base, and it was enjoyable. Then, Jacob and I packed up for a picnic out in town. At first glance, the park we chose didn't look like anything much, but when we got into the play area, even I thought it was pretty cool. It didn't have any new shiny play equipment, but instead had an actual old rusted Jeep firetruck that had once been in use. Jacob could turn the steering wheel, shift the gears, push the old buttons, step on the gas pedal, and ring the old bell at the top of the engine. A little ways further, behind a hedge-covered fence , We discovered an even more exciting treasure - a once-used Trolley Car (or train car). For about an hour, Jacob managed the drivers cabin, while I sat in the once-plush passenger section. It was fun, but it felt like a sauna. I gazed up longingly at the old rotating fans in the ceiling, wishing they would come back to life. Ah, but Jacob had a blast, which thrilled me!
To cool things off, we found a refreshment stand ... Oh, wait - I must discuss the bathrooms first!
Jacob had to use the toilet midway through our playtime. I had heard about these kinds of toilets from friends who had lived in Japan, but was beginning to think they had all been replaced, until today. The women's toilet was a mechanized porcelain hole in the ground with a flush. That's all I'll say about that.
Back to the refreshments. I found the best packing ever for ice-cream cones at this particular refreshment stand. You can buy a soft-serve style vanilla ice cream, in it's cone, all frozen and packaged neatly. The cone was surrounded by a plastic encasement, so even though the ice cream could be melting like mad, you never have to get your hands sticky! Amazing!!! Jacob polished off his ice cream while taking in a local baseball game there in the park. Great day!
We ended our day with the Ikego Ward Bon Dance.
Taken from Wikipedia, here is a brief description of the Bon Festival:
Obon ( Bon ?) or just Bon ( Bon ?) is a Japanese Buddhist custom to honor the departed (deceased) spirits of one's ancestors. This Buddhist custom has evolved into a family reunion holiday during which people return to ancestral family places and visit and clean their ancestors' graves, and when the spirits of ancestors are supposed to revisit the household altars. It has been celebrated in Japan for more than 500 years and traditionally includes a dance, known as Bon-Odori.
We went with some friends, and it was great fun. Only a couple of days prior, when Jacob and I were out exploring, we happened upon this small shrine, up atop a rocky hill. The 78-year-old man who was tending to the shrine introduced himself to us as Yoshida, and encouraged us to return for the festival, where he would be playing the drums. Well, we came back and Jacob got to try his hand at the large drums. He had a blast. We tried to join in with the women dancing around the raised stage where the drum-players were at, but we ended up just walking in the circles with them instead. It was a lot of fun. What I took away most was just how exceedingly friendly the Japanese people are!! As we snuck out early to get Jacob back to the house for a bath and bed, one of the men ran after us to make sure we got a gift to take home. And boy what a gift, puffy cheese rings and the most delicious chocolate covered wafer things, I've ever had!!! Good-bye girl-scout cookies, hello choco-puff cookie things!!! They are truly addictive.
If you stuck with me through all this, hope you come back to read more!
Sayonara for now
I love it!! I can't understand a lot of it because it's in Japanese, but I am familiar enough with blogger that I get the gist of what it's saying!!!
ReplyDelete(Your writing isn't in Japanese, but a lot of the directions and other wording is!)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWow! This all sound so exciting. Although being a military family can be rough, it's awesome when you can make the best of the location where God has placed your family and enjoy the sites a new culture that you have been introduced too! Thank you for sharing your experiences! I look forward to following the blog in the future! Love and miss you guys, Sarah Nielsen :)
ReplyDelete